For an informal chat before you visit the club contact the membership Secretary Derek Nelson on training evenings Tuesday & Thursday. Alternatively, contact the club secretary, Tom Hanson: Email: TomHanson@Thinkpositive.co.uk or Tel: 07738 549830
Once you come down to the activity centre, go into the sports hall & join the runners who be will congregating in the sports hall.
To join and become a runner affiliated to the club:
- You will be required to complete a joining form. Click on this link here to open & download the club’s joining form > New Joining Form Ver.3
- Please complete ALL sections of the form. Please scribe clearly. Thank you.
- We will require a subscription fee. This is can be in the form of a cheque or cash. Cheques are made payable to ‘Elswick Harriers’.
- The Club Secretary or designate, will inform you as to how much you will need to pay. More information can be found under the tab heading ‘SUBS 2017’.
This form is sent off to the club’s affiliated governing body: England Athletics (E.A.). They will register you with E.A & Elswick Harriers. You will be given a unique registration number. At this point you become a member of the club. Juniors will receive a welcome pack. This handy pamphlet is a ‘things you need to know’ guide.
What we will endeavour to do? Where & when we meet?
- We will endeavour to match your ability & needs to an appropriate group.
- The main Senior squad meet every Tuesday & Thursday, in the sports hall from 7pm. Runners leave at 7.15pm to go running.
- A beginners & an Intermediate run group also have the same timings.
- The Junior group also meet for 7pm & depart at 7.15pm.
- Juniors aged 10 to 17 have their own dedicated group running & conditioning sessions (Usually lasting around 40 to 50 mins)
- We have a dedicated beginners group. Runs are varied and can typically be from 30 to 45 mins.
- We have a main running group. Sessions are varied and can typically be from 45 to 60 mins.
On a Sunday morning at around 9am, senior runners meet outside the centre & go off initially as a group for a run. Entirely informal, run at your own pace, with a partner or as a group or go it alone! Go long or short with distance…go off-road…on trails…country paths…you decide…it’s your day to enjoy!
Who best to speak to when your in the sports hall?
- Juniors (Parents & Guardians) will be introduced to one of the junior coaching team:
- Mark Todd Head Junior Coach, Lindsey Grant or the Club Secretary.
- If you are new to running & can ‘run / jog / walk up to 5km’:
- Speak to one of the ‘beginners group’ lead runners: Les Williamson, Derek Nelson, Tina McIver, Lalage Brown or the Club Secretary.
- If you have been running regularly & can run 10km or more comfortably & consistently:
- Speak to one of the ‘main squad run contacts’: The Club Secretary, Tom Hanson, Colin Bolton, Head Coach, Graham Bell or Lalage Brown.
- We are to help you settle in, feel welcomed & find the right group for you.
- Benefits of joining our club?
- A structured club who will best fit your needs as a runner.
- Knowledgeable UKA qualified coaches providing structured sessions and advice.
- A great group of friendly, hard working club runners…….just like you!
- Promote individual entry to races, Team Relay and Track & Field competition. Participate in the hugely popular Cross Country Season here in the North East.
- Encourage people to take part in Local, Regional and National competition.
- Promote other aspects of sport, such as Fell & Trail Running and disciplines such as Triathlon.
- A flourishing social side to the club: Presentation evenings, post race get togethers, annual parties for Juniors & Seniors.
- A well-managed media platform to communicate, highlight & promote what Elswick Harriers ‘do’ as a club (Website, Facebook & Twitter)
- A superb home and facilities here at Newburn Activity Centre.
- Excellent running routes, right on our doorstep, here at Newburn.
- We provide three popular ‘open & club races’ for the running community.
So there you have it!
What are you waiting for?
We look forward to you joining us here at Team Elswick!